Saturday, July 9, 2011

Kubrick admired Bergman

This letter was written by Stanley Kubrick in 1960 to the filmmaker he admired the most at the time, the Swedish Ingmar Bergman. By this time, Kubrick was yet to create his greatest masterpieces, such as 2001: Space Odyssey (came two years later), The Clockwork Orange or Barry Lyndon. Read the transcript down below the photo.



UNIVERSAL-INTERNATIONAL PICTURES
UNIVERSAL CITY, CALIFORNIA

February 9, 1960

Dear Mr. Bergman,

You have most certainly received enough acclaim and success throughout the world to make this note quite unnecessary. But for whatever it’s worth, I should like to add my praise and gratitude as a fellow director for the unearthly and brilliant contribution you have made to the world by your films (I have never been in Sweden and have therefore never had the pleasure of seeing your theater work). Your vision of life has moved me deeply, much more deeply than I have ever been moved by any films. I believe you are the greatest film-maker at work today. Beyond that, allow me to say you are unsurpassed by anyone in the creation of mood and atmosphere, the subtlety of performance, the avoidance of the obvious, the truthfullness and completeness of characterization. To this one must also add everything else that goes into the making of a film. I believe you are blessed with wonderfull actors. Max von Sydow and Ingrid Thulin live vividly in my memory, and there are many others in your acting company whose names escape me. I wish you and all of them the very best of luck, and I shall look forward with eagerness to each of your films.

Best Regards,

Signature: Stanley Kubrick

Stanley Kubrick

1 comment:

  1. Um 'deus' a admirar outro 'deus'...é fantástico...

    Cumprimentos,

    http://cinemaschallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete